Monday, June 21, 2010

Great World Cup Weekend & Other Footy News



The World Cup has officially busted wide open as I thought it would since the second group matches started. Those first games, I think, are more cautionary, feel-things-out, lets not make mistake games, which France missed the boat on completely. At least the players will get their wish and go home early and relax next to turquoise water.

I’m going to start off with the US v Slovenia game. I don’t honestly have much to say. After the first half finished up I was pissed, bummed, frustrated, and thought the tournament was dead for my home team. I went for a walk with my Germany supporter and came back to see a team that did a complete 180. That was the best, most inspiring, gritty half of soccer I have seen during the whole tournament. The sad thing is that it was taken away by a bush league invisible foul. Bruce McGuire from duNord has his theory on it. If we could just not let in early goals and get ourselves in situations like that, we would have been looking at three points and not so tense Wednesday morning.

What is happening with England? I didn’t get a chance to watch the match but I read several comments and articles. How can all of that talent not be able to put ANYTHING together? What happened to the England of the qualifying rounds? I can’t believe they don’t feel any pressure because the English media is a firestorm of negativity if England don’t win 6-0 every time they step on the field. I am really hoping for a win against Slovenia for the on Wednesday, I would hate to see England go home early because tournaments are always better when they are a part of it, whether they play good or bad.

Did anyone else see France’s implosion coming? I apologize to all the France supporters out there but watching this is so entertaining. They had no chance from the beginning of the tournament. I didn’t think they had a chance to get out of the group stage and it looks like my prediction is about to come true, why didn’t I put down some money on this? I could have been writing a thank you card to Raymond Domenech for paying my June mortgage. Why would he show Anelka the door  when the guy has over half of their shots? Hey Raymond, Anelka is trying to get your team points so you don’t go back to Paris early just to get run out of town when you get there. I know he was running his mouth about how Domenech is no good, but I think a better solution would be to just not start him in the next game. Raymond needs him. France needs him. What a mess.

Cameroon became the first nation to be officially eliminated from the tournament. They put up a great fight against Paraguay and I was pulling for them. Things aren’t really shaping up for any African sides, which is unfortunate. If they all go out, could it mean the end of the vuvuzela? Cameroon were followed by North Korea today. Jong Tae-se still hasn’t scored any goals which doesn’t make him look good to other people he made guarantees for. I don’t think any North Korean’s will be seeing the match they played against Portugal today.

This past weekend I ran in the Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon in Duluth, MN. During that run I saw two sets of people with blowing vuvuzelas. They can't be stopped and I can't escape them. You can always count on Zidane to deal with those pesky horns.



- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

American fan killed and brother hospitalized. They need help getting back to America. - KATC -

FA expects Capello to leave if England doesn't get out of the group stage. - BBC Sport -

US fan watches the Slovenia game with Miss World contestants...bonus! - Deadspin -

Tim Howard loves that US fans are mad. - Dirty Tackle -

Iker Casillas shaves his beard in hopes to turn around Spain's fortunes. - Kickette -

Inside the daily life in England camp - Mirror -

Vancouver Whitecaps stadium tour - MLS Insider -

Great soccer podcasts - The Football Ramble -

No comments:

Post a Comment