Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Dream-Like Ending Brings US Top of Group C

I don't care who you are...you gotta love this.



I have seen this dozens of times already today and each time it sends shivers down my back and the hairs stand on my neck. This game was heart wrenching. All the chances we had to put it away early and to finally bag one....in the most dramatic of fashions...in extra time. YES!!! Landycakes comes up huge! The fight, the heart, the resilience, the US never quit, leaving everything on the field. I was preparing myself for coping with an early and disappointing early exit. The frustrations were huge and I couldn't believe we were about to get eliminated without even losing a game. That my friends...is how 1-0 can not be boring. Even Bill Clinton was there, sitting next to FIFA president Sepp Blatter. That should give him a boost in selling the US for the 2018/2022 World Cup.

The call from Ian Darke was classic. I loved how he shot down John Harkes when he chimed in during the celebration. Freaking brilliant. Man I haven't felt so pumped by a sport in a long time.

So we sit on top of Group C and wait for the 90 minutes in Group D's remaining games. Here's to not playing Germany.

Kudos to England today too. They looked very comfortable against Slovenia and I'm putting credit to the all red uniform. Here is the headline on The Sun's website



I am going to vent about one thing before I relay some footy links for your enjoyment. First, I would like to say I loved listening to Jim Rome back the US squad. He can't stand the sport but gave credit when credit was due. Secondly, and lastly,  my local sports radio station KFAN has a radio personality named Dan Cole who goes by The Common Man. I usually turn the dial when he comes on because he is an ignorant hypocrite and usually has nothing good to say anyways. I got in my car and turned the radio on only to hear him bashing the sport and not giving a shit the US had won that game. He couldn't even accept what the US had accomplished. Dude, I get that you don't like soccer, but at least get behind your country and fight the good fight. Quit being an ass, hassling Landon Donovan for tearing up and Lovelle Neil* because he almost cried for being so pumped about what just happened. If Brett Favre, Phil Mickelson, or Joe Mauer had some water works after a triumphant, big win, he would be praising them for the energy they left on the field of play, how inspiring it was, and "this is what competition is all about". Dan Cole is absolutely awful and I just wasted 5 minutes writing this.

Ok, all done.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Algeria player smacks reporter after loss to US. - Yahoo -

Real Madrid give thumbs up to Ronaldo approved fluorescent underwear. - The Spoiler -

Cristiano Ronaldo's buck fuddy's - Deadspin -

1 comment:

  1. That was an exciting game! I can’t believe the USA won! It looked for sure they would get another draw.

    ReplyDelete